View Single Post
Old 1st Sep 2022, 3:24 pm   #56
simpsons
Octode

Default Re: Grundig tk 23 L speed issue

Help!!

Surely the capstan is driven by the motor by a belt and so the idler wheel will need to be changed for 60Hz? Not sure about that.

This is a domestic machine and although I might be happy taking it apart, Joe Public wouldn't so I'm not sure that this is right. There is no mention of this in the User Guide.

In addition, the TK14 User Guide, a similar chassis, specifically mentions that the motor and mains transformer need to be changed for 60Hz not the idler.

Idler drive is bad enough for a record player's wow and flutter figures, can't imagine what a 9.53 cm/s transport mechanism, even with a heavy flywheel, would sound like. Correct me if I'm wrong.

So, Ubaldo, apologies for being half asleep on the faster playback time for the Grundig you correctly wrote.

Analogueman, I can't find the 50/60Hz switch on the Akai front panel. Can you confirm which model this refers to?

Me thinks it's time to pause and take stock of where we are and what do next.

Cartagena is a large town so I wonder if there is a repair shop there who would lend a tape if only we can confirm that there is nothing wrong with the Akai?

Chris