View Single Post
Old 4th Oct 2022, 3:08 pm   #13
Vintage Engr
Heptode

Default Re: Taut band meter repair- Ferrograph RTS2

Quote:
Originally Posted by G8GUH Gerry View Post
Hi David,

I repaired one of these meters by transplanting a different meter movement into it. Details are in an article here - pages 5-7.

Good luck!

Gerry
Thanks Gerry,

What a great article, & also some superb restoration work. I notice that your replacement meter is a standard D'Arsonval moving coil type rather than the original taut band. I also now have two RTS-2's to hopefully bring back to original specification.
Did you put in any extra meter protection, (I've not totally read your article yet), as it's very easy to overload the meter, simply by inadvertently either having the osc. level too high & going to 'read osc.', or even just turning the mains on tends to send the meter hurtling way past its intended FSD.

My original RTS-2 was also an early one that I've owned for almost 40 years, & has served me well. That too has the captive mains lead & voltage selector on the rear. The newer one that I have is much later, incorporating all the mods up to the end of production. I have one Auxiliary test Unit that came with my older test set. I'm hopefully going to spruce that up a bit as well, the speaker has gone off-centre and its a relatively high impedance one. I don't know why as the Plessey audio I.C. can drive a lower impedance.

I'll post later on when I've completed them.
Thanks again, much appreciated,

David.