View Single Post
Old 6th Apr 2019, 8:56 am   #625
mark2collection
Hexode

Default Re: Audiophoolery?

Parting with large sums of cash to buy a high-end/prestige car doesn't just buy an expensive car. Sure, it'll likely be fast, very quiet, very comfortable, be a real 'looker' and have all the signs of true craftsmanship, but also, the high-end safety aspect too. You know in the event of an incident, you and your occupants have a better chance of survival. You'll be thankful you spent that money, plus intrinsic value when you sell-on, since a good example will likely be an investment.

Spending the same on audio? You very quickly hit the ceiling at a price-point, where no real audio gains can be had, but perhaps bragging rights with no substance or proof as backup, except the packaging says 'x'. These days, it's all down to very clever marketing, and moving a problem onto you, though the people who spend huge sums on audio, for example, have no shame or guilt of debt, should it come to that.

The times I've been to events, truly astonished by what I've seen and heard, it's when you're on this forum or meeting forum members face to face you realise, the smile/laughter you had at 'that' event was for all the wrong reasons!

Though fortunate enough to own a prestige car, when it was new it cost more than two average houses. That said, I bought it 4 years ago and cost less than a week away.

My HiFi, not worth anything in real terms today, didn't cost much in the first place and it's still hugely enjoyable, just like my 35 year-old car.

Presumably, those who do spend vast amounts on snake-oil fuelled audio have had their hearing scientifically tested with calibrated equipment, whose specification exceeds all known knowns, naturally using cables supplied from the previous links on this thread(?)

Mark

Last edited by mark2collection; 6th Apr 2019 at 9:09 am.
mark2collection is offline   Reply With Quote