View Single Post
Old 8th Feb 2019, 10:50 am   #76
Argus25
No Longer a Member

Default Re: 1938 Murphy A56V television restoration

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catkins View Post
To add to this you have the additional variables of plating time, and electrolyte temperature all of which affect the resultant quality of the plate.

With so many variables at play it is not surprising that the vast number of home platers get poor results.
You are right about this and its not just home platers either. It took me a while to find commercial electroplaters that I could trust with delicate components from vintage radios & TV's.

I really admire what you have done with your restoration, because you are not prepared to settle for average and you put in the extra work to figure out how to electroplate items yourself.

Also, that you understand the importance of eliminating rust and corrosion.This is not just for the cosmetic appearance, which is vastly improved, but it is also the only way to have a long lasting restoration. More to the point, to preserve a piece of electronics history for future generations.

Many restorers underestimate the long term destructive effects of rust and corrosion and do not realize that it has to be stopped in its tracks, for any project that can be called a real restoration.