View Single Post
Old 8th Jan 2019, 3:53 am   #63
draenog
Tetrode

Default Re: 1938 Murphy A56V television restoration

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catkins View Post
This means restuffing the original waxy capacitors. Even there it seems there's many different approaches. In my first restoration of a HMV 904, I slit the waxy capacitors length-ways, removed the contents, replaced with a modern component, and then glued the waxy capacitor back together with hot glue. As long as the slit can be hidden in a non-visible place this works well, the original look is preserved exactly.

For this restoration I tried a different approach. I noticed the capacitors used in the Murphy were significantly more waxy than the waxy capacitors used in the HMV 904, including a layer of wax inside the paper envelope. This led to the idea if could I heat the wax up using a heat-gun, could I then slide the contents of the capacitor out without any slitting of the paper envelope? In fact I discovered I could do just that. But, of course, it removes all the wax from the capacitor paper envelope.
Phillip did discover this alternative approach by copying me One of these days I'll get round to doing a proper write-up of my HMV 907 restoration where I used it. The use of the teapot warmer is, however, entirely down to Phillip

I used an old tuna tin which I heated up on the stove. It took a lot of experience to judge exactly when to take the tin off (wax at the right temperature to get a coating of the right thickness). You then had a short time to get the capacitor done before the wax was too cold. One time I put the tin back on and forgot about it and it caught fire (tall flames and lots of smoke)...

Last edited by draenog; 8th Jan 2019 at 4:05 am.