Thread: TV repair shops
View Single Post
Old 5th Jan 2019, 2:15 am   #24
Argus25
No Longer a Member

Default Re: TV repair shops

Two things definitely changed the landscape for the economy of repairs of any kind, TV,radio, machinery, appliances.

Firstly mass production with cheaper materials driving the initial price downwards, then that coupled with changes in financing & loans, people being financed into things they could barely afford (hence the GFC).

So, it became very unattractive to repair aging appliances, even with small faults, which is why we have masses of them creating mountains of E-waste.

I heard a story from a TV repair shop in Greece, where a customer some 2 years before had bought a top of the line big screen TV for some thousands of Euros. It developed a fault and he took it in for repairs and was told it would be 350 Euros to repair. He said, don't bother, throw it away. He then went to a local appliance shop that was offering interest free and no payments for 2 years on big screen TV's and 4000 Euros credit. So he got a new one right away and was watching TV again that night and no doubt didn't worry if he couldn't make the payments in 2 years or it was repossessed.

A TV tech in my town that retired about 5 years ago, told me he was taking 10 to 15 faulty flat panel TV's to the dump for land fill each week. It was not that he couldn't repair them, the customers didn't want them repaired and wanted new sets.