Thread: Ortonview PCB
View Single Post
Old 4th Aug 2021, 10:37 pm   #200
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

Default Re: Ortonview PCB

Mine has a conventional 32 + 32 edge connector soldered to the 'fingers', so that I could (If I chose) connect it to my original MK14 for compatibility testing purposes, although I would need to remove the RAM since my issue II doesn't have the memory hole for it to occupy.

Original MK14s don't have Clock-Out on the rear edge connector but, luckily, OrtonView does not need it. Of course I would also need to route the buses and control signals to the underside of the edge connector where the issue II doesn't even have fingers to solder the signals to. So on the whole, highly unlikely.

Have to say the Slothie PCB based version looks a whole lot neater than the danglesome veroboard memory expansion 'bridge' board and the absolute rat's-nest of an OrtonView prototype I had hanging off that, so even if it only ever works in its original way with the A8-A11 capacitor bodge, I'll be very happy with it.

If you didn't want the VDU feature you could probably saw the rear two thirds off the PCB and the memory expansion would still work like a traditional plug in Sinclair 1.5K 'RAM Pack' for the issue VI PCB.

Last edited by SiriusHardware; 4th Aug 2021 at 10:52 pm.