Thread: Ortonview PCB
View Single Post
Old 6th Jul 2021, 8:53 pm   #23
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

Default Re: Ortonview PCB

Woo! Coming along nicely.

It looks quite shallow (front to back) compared to the depth of the original VDU, so if you need more room for buffers etc I think you can allow yourself to extend it back to at least the length of the original VDU card. I'm forgetting you don't have one so...

(...rummage...)

The front to back depth of an original SOC VDU, front edge to rear edge excluding any projecting connectors, is 16cm exactly. The width of an original SOC VDU is 10cm exactly, but as this board is more likely to be used with an issue VI than any other I think it would look nicest if it was exactly the same width as the issue VI.

I like the fact that the MK14 facing connector is a 0.1" edge connector type as you can solder the pins of either a 32+32 -way edge connector or a 32+32 way DIN connector to those, or you can even use an original 32+32 way edge to edge joiner if such a thing can be found.

Personally, I'd like to see the composite video going out on a PCB-mounted RCA socket.

I never got around to trying to run the OV with its own independent regulator - don't know if Tim did. Running the OV on the MK14 regulated 5V supply does at least have the merit that both units see their supply 'appear' at exactly the same time.

That said, the MK14 and the OrtonView PIC each have their own independent reset circuits so they almost certainly start up at different times even when running from the same supply.