View Single Post
Old 17th Mar 2021, 11:17 pm   #55
ortek_service
Octode

Default Re: The Transam Triton Personal Computer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeraldSommariva View Post
Yes I forgot about Maplin they were good for a lot of different stuff , I supposed they phased out stocking electronics parts as more people started ordering online including myself.

Its a shame they collapse it was good to pop in a have a look round and normally end up getting something.

I fired up my external power supply for my Triton project tonight and its dead, its a switch mode type that should produce +5 +12 and -12 there is no voltage on any of the three outputs. I have not worked on these types before so were to start fixing it is a good question and I don't have a circuit diagram either.

May its time to either rebuild the original Triton linear power supply, get a new switch mode supply or maybe use a PC power supply.
I thought Maplin had been going downhill for Electronic parts for quite a while before most people were buying parts online. Their shops had little stocks of their ever reducing range, and they seemed to have moved to trying to sell disco stuff and inflatable decorations etc. And had kind of become a version of Tandy's, that had been very overpriced due to lack of much competition.
They also frequently seemed to have more staff than customers in there.
I found Maplin wanted several pounds for a watch battery and no stores within 10miles actually had any stock. But got one posted 1st class for just over £1 inc. delivery from a UK online seller.
However, it seemed it was actually some venture capital company, who bought them and put the cost as debts on the business that brought it down.
So really lost its way from the family business it had originally been for many years and a sad end to what it many of us remembered it was originally.

Getting a circuit for your SMPSU will probably be tricky, but they mostly function the same way so can often fix without a full circuit when you know what normally fails - Mostly covered by subsequent posts.