View Single Post
Old 16th Mar 2021, 8:50 pm   #163
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

Default Re: I found it! A very sorry looking MK14.

I have to admit those flat-top IC sockets with the square holes in were never my favourites. The only word of caution I would offer is to warn you that the pads on old fibre glass boards of that period are very, very easy to burn off the board because the bonds which keep them attached to the PCB are not very heat resistant now. Lower-side pads which don't have tracks going to them are especially prone to this because there is nowhere for the heat from the iron tip to run away to.

I don't know if you have a 'proper' electrically pump assisted, temperature controlled desoldering gun but I would seriously suggest you might want to invest in one for this job if you don't.

I would say get it working in its original stand-alone MK14 configuration but then gradually take it back to something like its expanded form with the keypad and display extended to the enclosure, and reinstate whatever is needed to drive the binary LEDs and binary switches so that everything on the outside of the enclosure works the way it originally did.

Certain enhancements - like the ability to choose either the new or the old OS - with hindsight, are probably not necessary.