View Single Post
Old 1st Mar 2021, 9:57 pm   #9
Timbucus
Octode

Default Re: The Transam Triton Personal Computer

That does look like a fun project! Are those 8" drives? If you have some custom ROMS with a CPM for it then preserving those will be worthwhile...

At least you still have the original Mullard C280 caps where the onboard PSU was...

It is still possible to get the original chips although it is becoming harder and expensive to put much capacity on. I would be tempted in your case to consider just securing a few to get it working and restore the expanded functionality with your cards or a modern replacement - especially if as it seems your expansion connector merely replicates the Triton expansion port.

The two modern respin boards switched to using 2114 which are slightly easier to get. But, it seems most people use a RAM expansion anyway more because as you found BITD there is a need to have 8K EPROMS for 7.2 HUMBUG and BASIC.

The photo system on here removes all good quality so some detailed shots close up across the whole board should be made to preserve the as now stage. Even underneath as you may have cut tracks etc. If you are prepared to share them I am sure people here will help identify the custom work...

The decision on how to proceed for you now moves to do you want to restore the original board and perhaps use a new one longer term to rebuild your original custom.

There is a member with a heavily modified MK14 that has suffered the same decision process.

It may also be possible perhaps to do both and restore the board but, build a separate power supply for your expansion systems. I suspect the Switch mode may be a project all by itself anyway.