View Single Post
Old 16th Jun 2017, 11:19 pm   #15
60 oldjohn
Dekatron

Default Re: FM to AM Converter?

The mounting of the FM module on ten tinned wires will call for some care too.

Won't be long I think before we have steady stream of 'success stories' as has been so with the highly popular mini-mod.

Quote:
Early days, but I think this thread has legs and will run and run!

Hi David I will start the ball rolling. I am really pleased with the convertor. I bought the pic already programed from the author. Due to the case mounting holes for the veroboard being different spacing to the circuit I have moved some components to suit.
I managed to ruin two of the FM chips, the solder pads are really fine and break off if the wire is touched in the slightest. I eventually soldered 0.5mm tined wire (offcuts from the other components) onto the veroboard. I applied flux to the solder pads then wedged the chip between the wires. When soldering FM board I had a wet cloth under veroboard to prevent the wire unsoldering and dropping out of the veroboard. Actually only 8 of the wires are used
I am using the convertor with a DAC90 with good results. Around 200m to 270m there is a lot of electrical interference in our house. The MW is a lot clearer 300m + I have set tuned in around 360m. I have noticed that there are two tuning peaks.
I am able to use my DAC 90 as an everyday set now.

Pictures of convertor before boxing up, complete with a lot of interconnecting wires. The unit uses about 22ma and will automatically shut off after 2 hours if no buttons are pressed. I tried buying the two Chokes at Maplins, they only had one value in stock, got it home on my tester and it was not the value it said on the packet. There is a tactile switch mounted under the Vero to switch on, change stations, memorise favourite station at switch on and previous station depending on how long the button is pressed.

I will be watching the post now for a free pre programmed chip from the author !!!!

John.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	am fm2 001.jpg
Views:	1669
Size:	115.5 KB
ID:	144619