View Single Post
Old 2nd Aug 2020, 9:04 am   #15
Diabolical Artificer
Dekatron

Default Re: Help identifying film capacitor material

Re - the colour of film caps, I spend happy hours pulling radial film caps and other goodies off scrap PCB's like most of us here. From what I've found they used a wider variation of colour in the past. I've got sky blue ITT's, yellow, orange, dark blue, perlescent green, dark green, black, a sort of wishy washy egg colour and the dark red ones as per Uncle's pics off vintage tele, VCR boards etc. Massive heavy odd coloured dark reds ones seem to crop up in CRT type tele boards, I've yet to find a use for a 690n 250v cap the size of a matchbox.

Now if you order a film cap, radial that is, they tend to be either orange or dark green and maybe dark red. The only outlier are Wima made caps, they going for the red body white print. Maybe in the past more women were involved then as now, in cap body design and thus chose weird and wonderful body colours to match the curtains/carpet, that or there was one central cap designer with a sense of humour, "what colour do you want" .... "I think i'll have minty green or sunrise over Octoon forest on a mid May morning during a partial eclipse"

Andy.