View Single Post
Old 9th Feb 2014, 12:22 am   #6
Radio Wrangler

Default Re: Recent Valve Radio Construction Books

I understand.

Those are things of beauty and they show the care that went into them.

I've made various components for myself when what I needed wasn't available. The little Myford has earned its keep, and the house has a folding stub mast at the apex, done in welded aluminium, so the TIG machine has been useful, too.

There are people interested in learning about valve technologies, and the books are available. It's mentors that they need, and this forum is a good meeting place.

Some years ago I had the job of writing part of the ARRL handbook, which was a sort of remote mentoring. I needed to lead people into subject areas without scaring them off and blowing their confidence. One method was to lead into an area and show that it is approachable and non-threatening before revealing it's notoriously scary name. It was fun writing it, but it was very difficult. It was written in layers so beginners could read through, miss a lot of points, but still pick up enough to let them get more on a second pass... all the while being aware that experts would also be reading it.

My particular interest is in ultra-high performance receivers using whatever technologies it takes. Of course the world took a different turning twenty five years ago, the market wants low performance cheap radio stuff for short range links like Wifi, Bluetooth and cellphones.

I could write about great dynamic range, and a small group of people would be interested enough to read it, but the market wouldn't interest a publisher simply as a matter of finances.

Cheers
David