View Single Post
Old 12th Dec 2018, 12:25 am   #126
Slothie
Octode

Default Re: MK14 schematic revisions

Quote:
Before you know it you will be replacing those hard to get 2111 RAM ICs with a 6116, the PROMs with a common 8-bit wide EPROM, the RAM I/O device with an 8155 or 8255 (Neither has RAM, but the 6116 would make up for that). Basically, you'd end up with an MK15... a bit like mk14man's fine effort a few years ago...
Yes, that is a thing to beware!

When setting out on this project the aim was:
* use the same chips or at least pin compatible
* same layout, look and feel
* include usability modifications like keyboard etc since the original design would be hard to reproduce and pretty useless in practice.

The mods so far are the sort of thing an enthusiast at the time would have made, and although adding a power connector is kind of stretching that a bit I think it wouldn't stick out like a sore thumb and makes using the computer a lot easier, and if I'd had an MK14 back in the day I'd probably have epoxied a power connector to the PCB and wired it in after having the wires break off for the 13th time.....

If I was going to build an "MK15" using more recent, obtainable chips I'd build a SC/MP computer with a NIBL ROM, >4k RAM and maybe built in keyboard and VDU a la ZX80......

Just for the hell of it!

PS: I do have a load of 6116's someone gave me that have been sitting arounf unused.....!