View Single Post
Old 25th Oct 2020, 12:48 pm   #20
sexton_mallard
Heptode

Default Re: Ferguson 384U (Finesse)

I gave up on attempting to restuff the can with 3 caps and instead mounted the diode, dropper resistors and 3 electrolytics along a tag strip beneath the chassis, taking care that heat from the new 7w resistors did not cause a problem. HT on the EL84 anode is around 215 volts up from about 170 volts, the magic eye is now pleasingly brighter. A bit of trial an error with dropper resistors took place to get the HT right. I also fitted a fuse on the mains before the switch with a 250mA fuse.

The on/off switch and piano switches needed a bit of fettling to get them working reliably and the dial bulbs were intermittent, the shunt resistor getting a bit hot and bothered when they went off. The bulb holders are made from a soft squidgy beige synthetic rubbery material which made the bulbs work loose but still in remarkable condition considering this material is at least 62 years old.

The set now performs well on all 3 bands and FM is sensitive leading me to decide to gerring round to setting up an outdoor FM dipole on the house in due course. The case and filthy grille cloth cleaned up well but the grille cloth has a few bald spots and a 'pook' by the magic eye window which won't pull straight. I will leave it for now as a bit of imperfection and enjoy using this set. The magic eye has been moved into a better display position and the dial bulbs are now the same brightness since the attached picture was taken.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot from 2020-10-25 11:37:00.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	66.0 KB
ID:	218850  

Less snakes...more ladders!

Last edited by sexton_mallard; 25th Oct 2020 at 1:00 pm. Reason: Improve readability.