View Single Post
Old 28th Feb 2021, 8:43 pm   #2120
slidertogrid
Octode

Default Re: The Audiophoolery Thread.

Based on that do you think that an owner may have comeback on this amp because of the potential danger caused by mains wiring with no grommets ?

Another thing I have noticed is that there are no fuses in sight so if something went short there are three transformers supplying current boxed in in plastic boxes with no vents to get nice and hot. Maybe the wiring would just burn out but I wouldn't want to rely on that.
The website also states that the amp should be left on all of the time and only switched off if it was not going to be used for an " extended period" .
I wouldn't want to leave it on unattended at all!
I heard back from my friend who brought it to me for repair today. Apparently the owner bought it around 20 years ago, He had met Richard Dunn way back and said he did have a few strange ideas one of which was to wet the floor in the listening area to " damp down" the acoustics. (I better say "Allegedly" I suppose...)
The brown glue was the type with lots of tiny bubbles in it quite soft and stretchy . It looks like the old fashioned stuff that people would use to glue treasured pottery back together.... it's "crack pot glue! "
Anyway it is on it's way back now !
slidertogrid is offline   Reply With Quote