View Single Post
Old 23rd Dec 2019, 5:37 pm   #1
knobtwiddler
Octode

Default Reproduction 'Bakelite' Parts

Hi,

As many of you will know too well, there are modern replicas of Bakelite components being sold. Some of the sellers even refer to these parts as 'Bakelite'. However, when compared with the original component from decades ago, the repro part is exponentially lighter and does not have the appearance of real Bakelite. My guess would be that these replica parts are made from something akin to ABS.

Google suggests that there are still firms about who can mould Bakelite. If people have gone to the expense of making a mould to reproduce a part in ABS, why haven't they gone the whole hog and used real Bakelite? If these firms actually can mould Bakelite (assuming the chemicals aren't banned?), why aren't we seeing repro parts that are the real thing?

I am sure that I am missing something very obvious here... But firms claim they can mould it, and there is enough demand for people to tool up for ABS - so why not the real deal?

Is there much of a difference in terms of tooling requirements for Bakelite vs ABS? Do the tools wear out faster for Bakelite?

Thank you in advance!