View Single Post
Old 5th Apr 2021, 3:46 pm   #13
Uncle Bulgaria
Nonode

Default Re: Liberon boiled linseed oil

I believe Danish oil is a generic name for oil + varnish, so it both soaks into the wood and also provides a bit of sheen on the surface.

Linseed oil is great. I use it on just about all wood and like the finish a lot. It's very good for 'nourishing' woodwork (hence its use in putty and traditional paint), and in this respect is making a comeback against unsustainable plastic paints. Oh, and 'boiled' linseed oil is rarely that. If it is heated without air for a few days it becomes thicker and tougher, and cures faster. This is known as 'stand oil' and good quality linseed paints are made with this. Boiled linseed oil from the hardware shop refers to oil with metal driers added to approximate the faster curing of stand oil without the cost. As these driers are not the most pleasant, for anything that's near food you must remember to use pure linseed oil.

The spontaneous ignition is a real thing, but there will be no problem if the cloths are laid out to dry rather than being crumpled together. The original 'oilcloth', used for waterproof clothing and packaging, is linseed oil-soaked fabric left to polymerise in the sun, leaving a flexible, repairable coating.

I doubt wooden-cased radios were originally finished with linseed oil - I expect PJL knows what they're talking about and lacquer is the way to go if you want an original type of finish.

Last edited by Uncle Bulgaria; 5th Apr 2021 at 4:15 pm.