View Single Post
Old 18th Oct 2017, 11:30 am   #259
GrimJosef
Dekatron

Default Re: Audiophoolery. 'Cable Break In' - I never knew that!

My point about audio folks and guitar folks was simply that they have to share the credit for the survival of valve manufacturing. No more than that.

That said, not all audiophiles would agree that a hi-fi system should be designed to reproduce the signal as faithfully as possible. If that was universally accepted then everyone would be listening via high-quality solid-state amps. Instead there is a real market for single-ended triode amps which commonly have distortion levels (albeit low order) reaching several percent as the signal level rises. Their fans would argue that however they might measure, they create a more convincing and/or pleasurable sound.

I think "the whole cable ... thing" as far as audiophiles are concerned is not based on the experience of guitarists. Some part of it might be, but most audiophiles have never played an electric guitar or stood by while a guitarist swaps cables demonstrating the real differences between them. Most audiophiles who try different cables (and there is a very heated debate between those who believe they make a difference and those who absolutely don't) do so because they're available, advertised, reviewed and recommended (or not).

Cheers,

GJ