View Single Post
Old 18th Oct 2017, 9:38 am   #254
mole42uk
Nonode

Default Re: Audiophoolery. 'Cable Break In' - I never knew that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevehertz View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Wrangler View Post
I'm disappointed in people who are convinced they can hear something very special but aren't driven to investigate it

David
And that just about sums up the audiophool.
It is perhaps unfortunate that, because most products that are in use by the general public are 'sealed for life' with 'no user-serviceable parts inside', and that we have abandoned in-depth education of the sort that, I suspect, most of us enjoyed, there is a wide-spread lack of understanding or curiosity about the basics of the world.

A friend, teaching medical students at the local hospital, often is asked "teach us what we need to know to pass the exams". This attitude exists also amongst electricians when I used to teach City& Guilds - "what's the least we have to do to pass?". I'm happy to infer that this expectation will prevail in other disciplines.

Given that lack of curiosity and a belief that everything can be had without effort, the marketing 'executives' have an easy target, whether it's cars, carpets or ready-meals that they are selling. On this forum we are, by nature, more curious and perhaps rather older than the average which changes our perception of the curious behaviours we see around us.

Index:
recursive loop: see recursive loop
mole42uk is offline   Reply With Quote