View Single Post
Old 18th Oct 2017, 9:26 am   #253
turretslug
Dekatron

Default Re: Audiophoolery. 'Cable Break In' - I never knew that!

I'm sure that one of the things that arouses most ridicule, even bordering on offence with folk here about the extreme 'phool scene is the disdain/abandonment of the concept of scale and significance. Part of the bread-and-butter basics in any field of engineering is being able to know whether the number that's been quickly approximated in the head or spat out to several decimal places from a calculator is in ohms, kilohms or megohms (or whatever) and why it's of that order. Reading through some stuff that the 'phools fret about, I think, this person would be quite unable to differentiate between picofarads and terafarads.....

Another aspect that causes offence is the snake-oil salesmanship. Someone might decide, off their own back, that they want a line-up of the same print style Mullards, all with logo at the same height and orientation for a classic amp. It'll cost them time and money, it's departed technical necessity for the realm of jewellery but it's their decision. It's when there's an unpalatable cabal of hi-fi journalists and copywriters that intimidates the uninformed into thinking that only huge and utterly unnecessary expenditure on items that have negligible (in the literal, scientific sense) effect will bring satisfaction and avoid intimidatory sneers from the cognoscenti that ire is aroused.
turretslug is offline   Reply With Quote