View Single Post
Old 29th Sep 2020, 11:00 am   #40
AdrianH
Octode

Default Re: My first foray into Old model TV repairs.

John I do not have a problem with anyone putting any comments/pictures or words of wisdom in the thread, in fact as a beginner and somewhat nervous person around HT (past experience) I welcome peoples thoughts and hope it will lead me to ask some not so dum questions.

I will use component values from the [BTrader sheet[/B] as more people will have them rather than the service manual and bulletins as passed to me by G6ONEDave.

The two caps in the can (C35, C36) have been replaced these done with 400 Volt Film type radial caps. I will get some silver mica for them at a later stage. The old ones were measured and actually measured high such as 0.025 and 0.035uF.

Yes I am using a DVM at present but have been mainly dealing with the HT line so not an issue, must get my Avo 8 working again.

The other caps I have replaced have all been the small cylindrical brown Hunts caps as shown in the picture previously, that is only because some were cracked open and the other that are in the line stage one when I caught it with the probe shed it's coating, I doubt they were faulty in value but the replacement caps are pennies.

OK on the 20% value of resistors, I was measuring R44 the 4K7 in the LOPT enclosure at 5K3. I left it alone as around 12% error.

I would ask if you can show me a picture of where the ion trap magnet is. Reading the service manual it says the arrow should point towards the screen, which would place it below the tube, the Phillips service sheet for the tube says the arrow should be pointing away from the screen which would put it above.

Lastly it does look like it was one of the later sets with the mods for the Tuner type B bulletin 15, and also with a Vision AGC mod bulletin 12.

I was hoping as other posts have suggested just trying to get a bit of a raster before embarking on a cap changing exercise, but if low HT is the issue I may have to, the two resistors on the anodes of the PY82's are OK at 40 and 43 Ohms, so they are still within spec.

I will also see if my DVM can measure the line frequency to see what it is running at.

I will plod on with it, and measure pin 2 of the PL81, pity I can not have a member looking over the shoulder giving pointers.

Adrian