View Single Post
Old 28th Sep 2020, 3:31 pm   #31
AdrianH
Octode

Default Re: My first foray into Old model TV repairs.

OK to day has been a bit more prep work such as re glueing the CRT base back on the next,. Managed to remove the base completely clean out the old adhesive and use rapid epoxy to glue it back on and finally re-solder the wires.

Last check of the underside of the unit and found two Hunts caps that had cracks in the plastic so replaced them.
Click image for larger version

Name:	myferg11.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	30.5 KB
ID:	216579

Finally put the PL81 and PY801 in the sockets and power the unit up! No bangs or clouds of smoke but not really any life either, the HT is getting up to around 185 Volts, I am hearing what could be some frame osc and something that sounds like it is gasping for air and then the HT drops to 150 Volts at this stage the set is unplugged. I have no speaker plugged in as I was hoping to hear the time base, but nothing. So I will connect a speaker to the unit and see if the audio stage is making any noise, then I will try the two caps as mentioned in the the horizontal time base. If I have it correct these would be C61 and C63 in the service manual or C35 and C36 on the trader sheet.

I believe this will necessitate complete removal of the coil pack and can L25/26/27 (trader sheet).

Adrian