m0cemdave
Octode

Default Re: The Audiophoolery Thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fettler View Post
1985/6?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesperrett View Post

The Juno 106 synth makes it post 1984. Looks like a Soundtracs desk with a Soundcraft multitrack in the corner but they were around from the early 80's onwards if I remember right. Not sure when those ATC monitors were introduced but something very similar is still available today (at a price). The BBC computer in the foreground makes me think that it is probably earlier than 1990 as most people were using Ataris or Macs by then (though we went straight for a PC in our studio). So I couldn't be more specific than late 80's.
Well spotted, both of you. Actually 1987/88, and in use until around five years later.

The BBC Micro was running a UMI sequencer, and you missed the Commodore 64 which was controlling the auto-muting on the CM4400 console (so the 24 track was really 23 plus timecode).

I *really* wish I could have kept the SCM200's. I built them from scratch, and acquired the prototype triamplifier packs (not the SCM100 ones in the picture which were a temporary measure) from the original designer. Too big to keep for domestic hi-fi, so I ended up with SCM20's which I still have.

The room was designed to have a large "early reflection free zone" in the main listening area, and the accuracy of reproduction was quite amazing (and of course one could directly compare what was heard in the studio with what it sounded like in the control room, so that wasn't wishful thinking). The acoustic performance was verified with an original TEF analyser which I borrowed from work, cutting edge technology in those days.

But enough of that - the point to be made is that improving the room acoustics makes a bigger difference than any amount of 'phooolery. Unfortunately it's one of those things you can't understand unless you have experienced it for yourself...
m0cemdave is offline   Reply With Quote