View Single Post
Old 15th Jan 2012, 7:00 pm   #5
michael cumming
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Sourcing batteries/cells thought to be obsolete.

I am not up on Military batteries as there not my area of collecting an they have different codes. The 1289 or 3R12 was never a layer cell, always round zinc cylinders. The cheap zinc-carbon PP3 is always layer cells but alkaline is six of those AAAA, people have hacked them to get these as it's cheaper than buying them as if I remember there packed two per card and there hard to find.

PJ996 or 4R25 = four F cells when taken apart, Two of these make up the 3V No 800 twin cell. You get eight of these cells from a 911 or 4R25+2. This battery has screw terminals and is bigger as it has four large cells in series then another four then the two joined in parallel.

The No.8 or 2R10 has two U8 1.5 cells in, the only use I know for these is that obscure Pifco torch that uses two.

Other old sizes such as 1839 two C cells together and 1829 which was two D cells together and the 1915 was two AA or U12 joined together, these were unit cells and the C and D sizes sometimes came in threes so any equipment that uses these you should have no problems with.

The old type 126 four volt with screw terminals can be made up using three D cells, I found some Ucar make ones when I took a red Ever Ready apart. They don't make U14s anymore but they're gaslighter cells and not used in radio.

The AD28 or 3R25 has three large F cells in, this battery was used in some Ultra transistor sets in pairs, this battery was also used in Bardic rail lamps, still made today.

The PP sizes were all layer type, even the 6v PP1. I rebuilt a PP11 for my Defiant radio using six AA cells two rows of three each in series as this battery is four half volts each side, it's 9V split in half.

Other B batteries such as the B122 can be found from certain firms by mail order, used in flash guns an hearing aids, also used in some AVO equipment.

Last edited by michael cumming; 15th Jan 2012 at 7:10 pm. Reason: Thoughts of more sizes.