View Single Post
Old 17th Dec 2009, 5:17 pm   #27
Retired
Heptode

Default Re: Water slide transfers.

Hi,

The “White” waterslide transfer paper arrived a couple of days ago enabling me to experiment a bit.

The Marconi logos kindly e-mailed to me by David (Radio Dave) worked beautifully. I downloaded Corel Draw Graphics Suite X4 and easily added 28 of these logos onto a single A4 page. I put a complete new set of ink cartridges into my Epsom DX 8400 printer and ran a test page off using cheap copy paper. This worked so I then ran a page of white water slide transfer paper through the printer and was very pleased with the result. The gold colour came out as a muddy yellow but it looks quite good and only a Marconi expert could tell the difference. Due to the way this printer works there is a slight variation due to bands as the page is printed but unless viewed close up I don’t see this as problem.

David also kindly sent me four more Marconi logos; two of these are totally lacking the gold colour and these gave me the idea of printing them out on clear water slide transfer paper; seal the ink with acrylic spray then cut out the transfer when dry. I’ve not tried it but wondered if the transfer could then be attached to a sheet of Gold Leaf then the completed transfer could be attached to the radio with a suitable adhesive?

I’ve now got two sheets of Marconi transfers and if I can’t improve on them will happily use them on my radios; I need to spray them first to seal the ink but given the bit of time I’ve been working on transfers I’m delighted with progress so far.

Whilst surfing the web I came across two more very interesting sites; the first is; http://www.clubhyper.com/reference/a...stomDecals.htm
This site covers making decals in detail using an Alps printer but contains other very useful information such as using “Microsoft Paint” for the graphics together with the very basic old fashioned way of drawing and colouring by hand then scanning. The site is well written and worth a read.

The second site is; http://www.lazertran.com/products/la...cts_inkjet.htm
This site sells a waterslide paper that doesn’t require the ink to be sealed once printed; a further bonus is that the transfer paper is also supplied in A3 size which would be of real benefit to people like Robert G for use to print his A22 dials onto as the dials could be printed in one go without recourse to joining two pages together.

Making transfers/decals is proving interesting and I’ve e-mailed Crafty Computer Paper to ask if they can suggest any way of printing metallic colours onto transfers. I also found a site suggesting using an empty black printer cartridge filling it with gold coloured ink?

I also considered sending the graphics to a firm in China to enquire if they could print in bulk then I could sell some to cover my costs; this way I wouldn’t be worried about buying transfer paper; ink; printer or the printer upkeep. This is fun.

Regards, Col.