View Single Post
Old 27th Sep 2009, 6:19 pm   #1
Dr-Watts
Heptode

Default Spitfire AM Transmitter

Hi all,

I've been after a small AM transmitter for some time now to 'show off' my vintage collection and play some period radio show's on them.
I found such an artical at: www.6v6.co.uk
It cost a little under seventy quid including postage and I'm very pleased with it.
After I'd ordered it, it arrived a couple of days later well packed and the power supply, audio leads and a wire antenna were all included.
After initial set up on the 'factory setting', resulys were OK if a bit noisy.
This was due to beating with another radio station and I hadn't earthed the TX ( Like it said in the manual )
After finding a dead frequency here in Milton Keynes (1503kHz) I set the thing up propperly, earthed the TX to a water pipe in the cupboard where it lives and tuned the antenna using the ATU (Fitted to the TX).
The results are good, it sounds nice and has a good enough range to cover all the radio's scattered around the house with good results.
My only critisism is that it could do with a bit more bass, but if you turn the bass up on your audio source it compensates nicely.
We are fortunate enough to have a large (Ish) Walk in cupboard in the kitchen - right in the centre of the house where all my electronics stuff and records live. This was the obvious choice for the thing to live

Click image for larger version

Name:	TX1.JPG
Views:	1219
Size:	93.2 KB
ID:	28890

Click image for larger version

Name:	TX2.JPG
Views:	1008
Size:	84.0 KB
ID:	28891

As you can see, it's quite high, so the wire antenna is just installed by running it through curtain wire hooks and cable tying it in place.
The wire is 3 meters long.
Anyway, enough of the waffling, I guess what I'm trying to say is, I bought one, and I think it's a nice add on to the vintage radio collection