View Single Post
Old 27th Jun 2021, 3:01 pm   #7
Niechcial,Steve
Hexode

Default Re: Ferguson 3629 11" 900 series. 1964/5

Thanks for a brilliant article John. It seems that one of the most common stock faults on these is the gold bits falling off the knobs.
I have two of these- a pristine one with the original valve tuner, and a beaten up one fitted with a thorn push button job from a 1400/1500, which basically works but I will rob for spares.
When I got the pristine one it had full frame scan but terrible frame linearity. The previous owner had gone through the frame timebase with new Cs to no avail. The fault turned out to be that thermsitor which had gone high value. Someone cranking the height up filled the screen but put the o/p valve on the non-linear part of its curve. Needless to say, the thermistor on the spare chassis was also duff. Since then I've been running with it shorted out, with a height diffrence of about 1.5 inches between hot and cold. I never hoped to find a replacement so was very grateful to hear of the TH5 equivalent John. I went to Ebay, and lo and behold, there were three TH5s available so I bought one for a fiver. Many thanks for that piece of information.