Thread: Baird Garrick
View Single Post
Old 21st Jun 2021, 1:25 am   #100
beery
Heptode

Default Re: Baird Garrick

Thanks for that John. I have got another copy of it somewhere.
The points listed in the advert are indeed its best points.
The push-pull video drive gives great contrast without flyback lines.
The focus is indeed current regulated.

There is no mention though of the poor picture linearity (no adjustments for that) or that the contrast control is buried deep within the set or of course one of the most lethal mains EHT arrangments that there ever was.

Anyway, back to the restoration.
Folks may remember that the original style line output transformer needed to be recreated. Early on in the restoration I swapped out the smoothing choke in the radio section for another one of a different shape. This gave me the lamminations and bobbin for the line output transformer (they are a very unusual size).
For the original transformer, a split bobbin was used. To achive this I made up a gerber file, using Altium, of the outline of one half of one of the end cheeks. I then used a CNC router to rout two identical end cheek halves. These were then glued to the bobbin with epoxy.

As for turns ratio, wire size and inductance, I knew none of these. I had planned to take some detailed measurements from the restored Lyric set, but Covid restrictions prevented this. So it was trial and error. After serveral iterations, I now have something that works. The primary is much fatter than the original and I could have another go at with thinner wire, but as it works I shall leave it as it is. This transformer is not wavewound. The split bobbing helps lower the capacitance, but also the over sized bobbin allows quite thick wire to be used for the primary which greatly helps to reduce capacitance by producing a fatter coil.
The primary is 1250 turns of 27 SWG and the secondary is 600 turns of 29 SWG. I think that 29 SWG for both windings would have been better.
Anyway, it works quite well. Line linearity is not perfect, but was better than with the tranformer that was in the set when I got it.

More to come...

Cheers
Andy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	lopt2.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	43.8 KB
ID:	236164   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200625_152711s.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	81.1 KB
ID:	236165   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200625_152732s.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	94.4 KB
ID:	236166   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200625_162630s.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	100.1 KB
ID:	236167   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210620_214955s.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	111.5 KB
ID:	236168  

Last edited by beery; 21st Jun 2021 at 1:28 am. Reason: forgot to upload pictures