View Single Post
Old 18th Jun 2021, 9:07 pm   #15
dtvmcdonald
Pentode

Default Re: Marconi 702 sound problems

The sound remains fixed. So I'll continue this thread with the focus problem.

I've made no progress. I have no idea what to actually do except make tests.

I tried using my big degauss coil very carefully over as much of the set as I could reach, getting it as close as possible. No change in the problem. Looking down at the top of the tube, not in the mirror, the problem is symmetric along a line from upper right to lower left. At a certain setting to the focus control the center is in focus. Turning it CCW, the lower right and upper left get to excellent. Turning it more, the center gets worse, those two areas get worse again, and the upper right and lower left get a bit better, then it runs out of range.

I got a big piece of sheet steel, 6" x 24", 1/20 inch thick and degaussed it.
I tried moving it around to see if that changed the focus. This was limited by my fear of the EHT wire, whose insulation I suspect is not in great shape. In any case, no effect.

For a long time I suspected the push-about coil, but its now removed as
its not necessary.

I have noticed that the yoke is not exactly oriented parallel or perpendicular to the scanning direstions, its off a few degrees. But the picture is oriented properly.

I suspected the electric field of the EHT wire, but I checked that by attaching a foot of nylon twine to it and moving it around, to no effect.

I looked at the cylindrical electrodes in the tube, and they appear aligned correctly.

Any suggestions?

Doug McDonald