View Single Post
Old 18th Jun 2021, 4:24 pm   #70
Andy - G8MNM
Hexode

Default Re: Murphy V659/759 restoration

I had one of these in the 70's. Part exchange against a refurbed Ultra 17" 405 only set.
The tube was beyond stuffed, so bought a 'rebuilt tube' well that wasn't much better than the original so back it went and finally the replacement was fitted and gave an excellent display.
At the time Manor Supplies were selling the 625 convertor which as was said in the original post was a complete receiver in its own right.

It fitted outside and underneath the main cabinet if I remember correctly. Ans as posted changing to 625 did require a warm up time. This put off the first buyer but it quickly sold.

Some time later I picked up the 23" version for a song. The tube wasn't brilliant but quite good. I didn't bother with the 625 conversion with this set but just sold it as a 405 line set as it was.

Those were the days. If I only had a fraction of the sets that came my way in the past I would need several life times to restore them.
Good luck with yours.
Quite a few years later I found out that the original set I sold had been dis assembled -sad but that was the fate of so many sets of the period and

continues today with the souless flat screen jobs!

Andy

https://www.lushanda.com/