View Single Post
Old 15th Jun 2021, 10:24 pm   #15
beery
Heptode

Default Re: PYE D18T 9" table model 1946.

Hi John,
That's a really nice example. The console version is quite common, but the table model you have here is much rarer. The art deco speaker grill is a nice touch
Yes those 1nF RF decouplers are annoying. The little bits of fabric insulation tape on the edges of the screening covers is a bit of an afterthought.
As with all PYE sets, the picture linearity is spot on.

I once restored a console version at Gerry's many years ago.
I have an Invicta T102 which used left over D16 parts. The big mains transformer was dispensed with, being replaced with a series heater chain for most of the valves and a voltage doubler for the ht. EHT was provided by a second line frequency transformer, without an efficiency diode. The set could not run on DC though because a small heater transformer was required for rhe CRT and voltage doubling HT rectifier. A very strange set.

Back to the set in question. I'm currently reading "Radio Man, the rise and fall of C. O. Stanley". It covers, as others here have mentioned, the development of the prewar 915 chassis. It points out that C. O. had Mullard (through Philips, Eindhoven) develop the EF50 specifically for the PYE 915.
It also states that the reason that D16 was so advanced and available for sale just before TV was relaunched in 1946, was because PYE had illegally been transmitting their own 405 line signals to test the receiver design before Ally Pally came back on the air. You wouldn't get away with that today.

So all in all a fascinating set and a good restoration write up.

Cheers
Andy

Last edited by beery; 15th Jun 2021 at 10:25 pm. Reason: Grammar