View Single Post
Old 14th Jun 2021, 2:19 pm   #19
hamid_1
Heptode

Default Re: TELETON VX1110 12" Hybrid.

Nice to see one of these again - still alive!

Back at the end of 1990 I had at least 3 of them - well, a couple of them were the 14" version in a metal cabinet with printed woodgrain effect. A 20" version has been mentioned - I didn't know there was a version bigger than 14" and I thought there was an import ban on large-screen colour TVs from Japan in the early 1970s to protect British industry.

The faults I had were: one of them had a faulty line output transformer - it was arcing and smoking. One had a faulty EHT rectifier valve. When the brightness was increased, the picture expanded then disappeared. One of them had a frame cramp / foldover fault; the convergence was faulty too. I ended up using one of the sets as a parts donor to fix the others, then I sold the working ones and never saw them again. I kept the remaining good valves just in case, but have never needed them. Last time I looked, a few years ago, one of the valves had gone to air. In 1998 I was offered another Teleton VX1110 by someone in Hampshire but turned it down at the time. Since then I've not come across another.

The valves were made by several Japanese companies including Nippon Electric Co. [NEC] and Tokyo Shibaura [TOSHIBA] and yes, they're unlike anything in British sets.

One thing I vaguely remember about these TVs is that the sound output was all solid-state so the sound comes on immediately after switch-on, then there's a long wait for the valves to warm up before the picture appears. Did I remember that right? Perhaps John could confirm.

I have seen some valve colo(u)r portables in the USA and Canada from makers such as Sanyo and Quasar. I believe the Teleton hybrid small-screen TVs were sold under another brand in the US. Small portable colour TVs were not common in the UK until the late 1970s by which time valves had disappeared.