View Single Post
Old 6th Jun 2021, 11:32 am   #49
slidertogrid
Octode

Default Re: HMV 1920 made in 1960.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FERNSEH View Post
I doubt if Philips would have ever considered twin panel CRTs for their TV sets and only offered the A59-16W as another source of supply of that type of tube to UK manufactures. Kolster-Brandes was the biggest user of the twin panel tube.

DFWB.
Yes Philips seem to do things their own way as usual . I had a 23" Philips with the convertible chassis, the one where you had to fit system switches, IF panel etc.
The tube appeared to be direct vision, but the set was too early for one of those tubes, in fact was an unprotected tube with a curved screen of fairly thick glass in front of it. Much less bulky and "clunky" than a twin panel screen. It had a mask like the early direct vision tubes that had the thick rimband. I am surprised other manufactures didn't use the same idea.

Pye / Ekco also used twin panel tubes for a while on the sets fitted with the 11U series chassis. In fact that chassis used a selection of different implosion guards from the flat plate glass screen to twin panel, hard plastic bubble and fenbridge guard. Maybe because the chassis had such a long production run?