View Single Post
Old 2nd Jun 2021, 8:42 pm   #1
Colourstar
Octode

Default KB WV20 Warwick - Built to last!

I collected this television last weekend from another Steve (Regentone001) down Coventry way. Nice to meet you Steve!

This set had a sorry tale to tell, having been accidentally knocked to the ground from a dining room table after Steve's Jack Russell was spooked by a firework. The blow split one end of the cabinet open and the chassis received a hefty whack, causing some distortion, but miraculously the crt escaped being necked although the plastic 'bowler hat' was damaged (luckily I have a spare). A couple of the wooden blocks on which the tuners and use controls are mounted broke free and need re-gluing. I'll probably strip everything out in order to do it properly.

Despite it's accident, the KB still works very nicely, with Steve's previous restoration work holding out well. Prior to his custody I suspect it may have been a one owner set, the pre-accident condition being so good. It's fitted with a twin-panel Brimar 'Plus' A47-13W which looks to be the original and produces a really bright, well contrasted picture. I have a soft spot for these 1960s STC group sets- KB, Regentone and RGD. They produce great results and the chassis is very well engineered (and tough!) I'm not aware they have any particular weak points. The cabinets and presentation are always very attractive too.

One casualty of the accident was the shatterered VHF tuner knob (main and fine tuner). I think it would have been the classic KB 'lightning flash' type. If anyone has one knocking around in a spares box I'd be very grateful!

Steve
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	KB2.jpg
Views:	356
Size:	80.2 KB
ID:	235275   Click image for larger version

Name:	KB5.jpg
Views:	283
Size:	69.4 KB
ID:	235276   Click image for larger version

Name:	KB3.jpg