View Single Post
Old 18th May 2021, 2:48 pm   #6
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Default Re: Mitsubishi HS-B52 VHS VCR playing slowly

Progress! The head appeared to be correctly aligned (as far as I can see by eye) and cleaning had no effect. However unplugging and replugging the cable to the top of the audio/control head PCB has got it playing at the correct speed.

So must have been a dodgy connection. I am reluctant to use any contact cleaner there though in case it finds its way into the tape path. Gently moving the cable while it's playing doesn't have any effect so it seems to be connected OK now.

The next issues are:

1. The left audio channel level indicator on the display is scarcely moving while the right channel indicating is peaking at the first red box (can't see the number as the display is rather dim). However the sound from speakers is equal level (by ear) on both channels. That's not really an issue.

2. The picture is a bit dark and over-saturated, as though the chroma is OK but the luminance is low. The TV is also having occasional problems syncing to it, either random pulling left or right in the top half, or losing sync completely. The hi-fi sound continues cleanly throughout. This TV works fine with Philips VR-840 VCRs. Unfortunately without a 'scope I can't view the composite video signal.

I suspect there are more iffy plug connections and maybe also iffy presets. Maybe some unplugging and replugging, and adjusting presets back and forth and returning to original position could help?

I don't suppose anyone has a service manual for this unit?

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster