View Single Post
Old 1st Feb 2021, 12:23 am   #103
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.
Default Re: My newly found Marconi 707

Thanks for the lyrics Peter [post 96*]. The song and singer have always impressed. They couldn't really have had anything better or more appropriate at that moment in time but I doubt that it was fully understood then ...or now even! Unfortunately we are currently swamped with an avalanche of product and "Boxed Sets" that add to social problems/addictions via globalisation! In the sixties you could watch the Wednesday Play, which might even change things via Parliament and was very popular with ordinary people who would never have gone to the theatre but watched every week as with "That Was The Week That Was" which emptied the pubs on a Saturday night because it showed what was really going on! I was there-under age! The BBC did it's job "Educate and Entertain" but probably not in Reith's monastic/confused version! A sad man.

During the current lockdowns the BBC has brought out token recordings of relatively current plays! That also happened in the first few weeks of BBC4 then it was gone! Why! If the theatre lacks subsidy why not find a bigger audience? Our national broadcaster has the money [our money] to buy in such content.
In "normal" times you can't get a ticket, say in London, without booking months ahead. They actually laugh at you! Eighty years ago [when experiments with sending the audio of a play over telephone lines took place] someone said "Won't it be great, in the future, when you can go to the Theatre without leaving your home?" You can do that "live" in a cinema now [eventually] or via a broadcast recording but still not directly! Why is that? Let's try ONLY showing recordings of sport and see what happens If the theatre always lacks money and TV needs more content/ratings what's the problem? I'm not a major theatrical in any way but I am keen on TELE VISION fulfilling it's original promise ie "Seeing from afar!"

Dave W

Last edited by dave walsh; 1st Feb 2021 at 12:48 am.