View Single Post
Old 18th Oct 2020, 2:16 pm   #137
AdrianH
Octode

Default Re: My first foray into Old model TV repairs. Ferguson 991T.

I appreciate the comments and the assistance provided, it has been an interesting and occupying time.

I just replaced the EY51, not that it really needed it as the HT seemed to be holding up well in the first place, but as I got one when I got the PL81 and PY801 it was sat on my bench from that point on. So out came the LOPT a bit of a clean and new valve fitted.

On the retuning, I think that will await for a major boredom period. L18/19 is the coil can that is very close to the screen and that is the one with most problems to the cores being worn out adjusters and stiff to move. Not sure if the crimp on caps are meant to come off the tubes but I tend to think that is what I would need to do to free off the cores and tidy up the ends. So that would have to wait some.

Perhaps at some point I will come across a part TV with decent tube that can be used, but for a TV that initially came in at £20 it will do for now.

The main thing about these projects for me is learning and trying to understand the various sections in how they work, I find it fascinating that one valve can be a mixer, oscillator and amplify as well. Reading Scroggie's Foundations of Wireless helps a lot.

Perhaps I will try something with my failing 'radar project' box and a 405 line picture may appear on a small 3 inch green DG7-5 at some point.

Cheers

Adrian