View Single Post
Old 2nd Oct 2020, 1:06 am   #68
beery
Heptode

Default Re: My first foray into Old model TV repairs.

Hi Adrian,
Good work so far.

Regarding changing exactly where new components are terminated, that's usually OK in the power supply and time base areas. However if you need to replace components in the IF or tuner circuits it is very important that the new components connect in exactly the same way as the old ones. This is even more true of the connections to 0v/chassis. I find it often helps to take a number of HD photos of the circuitry before replacing parts as it helps to remind me how everything was laid out originally and it can be a great help if I accidentally connect a component to the wrong place.

About IF alignment. Usually in a TV set from the 50s onwards you don't need to touch it unless someone has messed about with it in the past. Replacing valves in the IF section will not put the set out of alignment unless you are dealing with earlier valves such as the EF50 and SP41 etc. Generally the close tolerances of EF80s and EF91s mean that even using a different brand of valve (I would usually stick to the original brand if possible) won't normally cause a problem.
It is good practice however to only ever remove one IF valve at a time for cleaning etc. This of course will stand you in good stead if you end restoring earlier sets with EF50s etc.
To achieve the bandwidth required for television IF circuits were often staggered tuned, with each stage peaked to a slightly different frequency. If one of the IF valves goes low emission then it can give the appearance of being a misaligned stage. This is where the phantom twiddler often goes in and messes things up when all that was needed was to locate the faulty IF valve.

I hope this advice helps.

Cheers
Andy