View Single Post
Old 9th May 2022, 8:54 am   #8
nzoomed
Pentode

Default Re: Thoughts on this HiFi line amplifier?

Quote:
Originally Posted by joebog1 View Post
NE2 neon "bulbs".

Initially designed as pilot lamps, they soon became very desirable in early computers amd counting circuits. They also last a very long time if used within their ratings.

The photo shows a small part of my "neon " collection. If you cant find any PM me and I will send you a few.

A small problem with NE2, is that they dont always strike ( light up ) at the same voltage.
For the circuit you post it doesnt really matter, but there were many same little tiny bulb neons that have very specific ratings. I have boxes of MIL spec ones that are different voltages to what you require. That said, the exact voltages are not so important.
What is important is that once "struck" the voltage will be held within very strict limits so that gain and currents through you valves doesnt change. That gurantees your volume doesnt jump up and down, and noise is fairly well controlled too.

Joe
Theres tons of those at our jaycar if thats all I need.

I was wondering what else would be tidier to use. Maybe there is a suitable zener diode, or else I would have to string a few of the things together probably anyway.