Old 24th Dec 2019, 1:00 am   #1120
bikerhifinut
Octode

Default Re: The Audiophoolery Thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Sawyers View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by emeritus View Post
AFAIR the PTFE equipment wire we used for aerospace stuff at Plessey in the 1970's was silver-plated copper. It was mainly for use in hermetically-sealed equipment, so I guess atmospheric pollution would not have been a problem.
Having worked at Oxford Instruments, we used that same sort of wire for connections from superconducting magnets to the quench protection circuits. The silver plating made for easy solderability, and PTFE is just about the only dielectric that is usable at liquid helium temperature. We buried the cable bundles in machined channels using plasticene - which bizarrely also works perfectly well at cryogenic temperature.

Going much further back, working on high power lasers, a perfectly good temporary lens mount was to stick it onto a pile of plasticene - AKA "a variable height device"

The audio industry has not yet cottoned on to the damping properties of plasticene.
Does Blu Tack count Craig?
I've used it for donkey's years to stop speakers sliding off stands as a less damaging solution than sharp spikes sticking up into the expensive wood veneer.
Not a clue as whether it enhances anything though although I imagine it may have a limited amount of vibration damping?

Andy.
bikerhifinut is offline   Reply With Quote