View Single Post
Old 31st May 2020, 2:02 am   #53
hamid_1
Heptode

Default Re: BT 'Chiltern' telecom towers

I've passed by that tower near Stokenchurch on the A40 / M40 lots of times over the years - it's about 15 minutes' drive from my house. I noticed the dishes gradually disappearing as time went by. It looks pretty bare now, but I think there are some antennas still in use (possibly mobile phone or DAB?) and there's still a red warning light on top for low-flying aircraft. During the Second World War, a British RAF plane returning from Germany crashed a couple of miles away in Cowleaze Wood. At the crash site there is a small memorial to the crew who were all killed. The area is good for walking and exploring. There's Aston Rowant nature reserve, with far-reaching views of the countryside as well as Cowleaze Wood which has a spectacular natural display of bluebells every year in May.

I assumed that the tower's original purpose was to carry telephone calls. I didn't know they were used for TV or possibly secret military purposes. I realised they were part of a network, as I have seen similar ones in other parts of the country. Purdown in north Bristol is another one that I remember, of a different design. It's highly visible from the M32 motorway when approaching Bristol from the north. Since these towers are highly visible, it would seem rather pointless omitting them from maps. If they really were for military use, they're not exactly a well-kept secret - the enemy could still find them easily and then destroy them.

I presume some of these towers will be demolished eventually when no longer of any use, like the huge cooling towers of Didcot power station, another landmark once visible from this area of the M40.