View Single Post
Old 13th May 2020, 11:45 am   #44
julie_m
Dekatron

Default Re: The space in the STD codes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pellseinydd View Post
Just a small point - in telecoms, the term 'satellite' refers to an exchange in an LNS (Linked Numbering Scheme) where the other exchanges didn't dial a code to reach a particular exchange in the LNS. In an LNS there was normally an exchange designated as the 'main' exchange where the interlinking was originally done but things developed over the years. Hence Etwall did not become a satellite until around 1990 when it went digital and became part of the Burton-on-Trent LNS The subscribers became 'Burton-on-Trent' numbers by prefixing then with '73' the old code previously from the 'Main' exchange in the group of exchanges. This was possible with the relevant exchange having four digit numbers.

The smaller exchanges off a main' exchange were 'dependent' exchanges - mainly UAXs but larger ones could be Non-Director exchanges as in the case of Etwall.
Right. So Etwall (6-figure numbers; the place name was kept with the change) would be correctly described as a satellite exchange of Burton-on-Trent, because you could call in at least one direction (both in this case) without a code; but when it was 4-figure, it and the Hoar Cross and Sudbury 3-figure exchanges would be correctly described as dependent exchanges of Burton-on-Trent, because you needed a code to call in both directions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pellseinydd View Post
You'd be surprised how things changed over the years. 'Burton-on-Trent' was originally a Linked Numbering Scheme including Tutbury and Swadlincote exchanges.

A number of the exchanges in the Burton-on-Trent 0283 group had direct junctions to Derby Exchange - 0332 Group Switching Centre.
Interesting that the code to call Barton-Under-Needwood from Burton-on-Trent used to be 81; my memories of Etwall phone-related stuff only go back to the 1970s, by which time it was definitely 71.