View Single Post
Old 7th Dec 2022, 10:03 pm   #48
The Philpott
Dekatron

Default Re: Burglary and our hobby

It pays to expect the unexpected. I was woken up by a would-be petrol siphoner a couple of years ago. I didn't get to stop him, he was defeated by incompetence.

As far as portable goods go it's mainly about jewellery cash or power tools now- anything that doesn't require effort to shift. A jeweller local to me posted £2k GBP of gold destined for the melt- by special delivery. It vanished, and the tracking facility said it never left our locality. They got their money back, but personally i would have taken a couple of days off and delivered it by car rather than post it. In another incident a different local jewellers (which closed shortly afterwards) sustained a robbery shortly before it closed. Arrests took place within a day. Hmm.

My heart beats faster when i see Aussie Gold Hunters pursuing poachers that are nighthawking on their lease.

As regards vintage eqpt. the few things that get stolen and prove to be of low value or hard to shift, are likely to end up being deliberately damaged before getting dumped. It's all part of the petulant mentality.

Dave