View Single Post
Old 7th Dec 2022, 12:17 am   #42
radio69
Tetrode

Default Re: Burglary and our hobby

In winter 1981, we moved house. The house had been empty for a while, and the (very old) boiler had packed up. Cast-iron heat-exchanger cracked, BER.

As we were moving in, the plumbers were removing the old boiler, and fitting a new one. The boiler was located in the garage, which was huge. The old boiler was also enormous, dating (so I was told) from the 1960s, and had originally run on solid-fuel. The piping connected to the boiler was similarly huge, the size of your arm, not copper; they referred to it as 'barrel'

The plumbers had finished and were clearing-up, and asked if I could help them move the old boiler out of the garage and into the garden, as they were struggling. With much swearing, the four of us (four strong, fit young men) just about managed to move it, and got it into the front garden.

It was late and dark, and we decided to leave it there until the next morning.

Next day, I went out at about 7am to bring the milk in......the boiler had gone!!!!
I couldn't believe it!!! I laughed out loud.
The plumbers were delighted, as there was talk of needing a HIAB to move it.

How persons unknown managed to take away such a massive chunk of cast-iron without making so much as a sound I will never know....

Sometimes theft can be a blessing!

Last edited by radio69; 7th Dec 2022 at 12:29 am. Reason: Correcting...