View Single Post
Old 12th Oct 2017, 11:42 am   #86
stevehertz
Dekatron

Default Re: Audiophoolery. 'Cable Break In' - I never knew that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrimJosef View Post
To be fair, what you would be attempting to do would be to travel in time. My ears have lost some of their treble response, so my experience of The Clash's records now is duller than it was when I saw them live in the early 80's. But if they were to perform now (hypothetically of course, given that Joe Strummer is no longer with us) my ears would be just as dull at the live gig as they are when I use them at home. So I wouldn't need tone controls to reproduce (my) current reality accurately.
You seem to be saying that your reduced upper frequency hearing capability is something that can't, or more to the point, shouldn't (!) be 'fixed'. I have a test CD (Hifi News & record Review) that has test tone frequencies on it, and anything above 10k I struggle with. It's proof (if I needed it) that my upper hearing range has degenerated. The fix is simple, I just boost the treble control a tad until I can hear those frequencies once again. It's not rocket science, it doesn't have to be 'correct' to the dB, just enough to make the music sound nice again. Depriving yourself of good hifi on the basis that if you were to see a live band (live band sound normally leaves a lot to be desired anyway!) the sound would be wrong to you, seems pointless to me! Just boost your treble control a tad and all those cymbals and lovely higher harmonics will be there for you to enjoy. Yes, technology does enable you to travel back in time; hearing aids, tone controls, spectacles etc etc. Clearly, we're all different, I accept that, but I'm just not 'getting' your way of thinking, a kind of self imposed denial of using audio tools to correct for a perfectly normal degenerative human hearing problem. Will you also deny yourself hearing aids if your hearing degenerates to such an extent? I'd wear them tomorrow if needs be, just like I now wear specs 24/7. Hey-ho, like I say we're all different!