View Single Post
Old 11th Oct 2017, 6:17 pm   #75
Lucien Nunes
Rest in Peace

Default Re: Audiophoolery. 'Cable Break In' - I never knew that!

Quote:
If the truth is that x,y,z..which reach a certain...standard will essentially deliver music in the same way, then there's no mechanism for delivering more pleasure by selling more expensive equipment .. which doesn't involve making misleading claims about it.
Not necessarily. There is a considerable aesthetic aspect to equipment that owes nothing to its claims of audio performance. You can legitimately and justifiably charge one or two orders of magnitude more for something that looks and lasts like fine jewellery, compared to an equivalently-performing functional item of zero aesthetic merit and modest durability.

Quote:
...if the perfectionism is based in Science and not a delusional (fixed false belief system) or a Faith based (proof absent system) then the attempts at perfection seen in the construction of some apparatus gives us all a "quality reference"
I spent years in professional audio judging by specs, measurements and performance, but still value looks, feel and build quality very highly. It would be a good thing if makers and vendors of boutique HiFi would emphasise these aspects as of value in their own right, instead of making suspect claims about their benefit to the sonics.

Quote:
Audiophiles have pumped up the prices of some parts we'd rather use to keep original equipment going.
I can accept that there are people in the world whose 'understanding' of physics differs from mine, and would happily leave them to work out their own fate. Except that they cannot be ignored, because they keep buying-up and parting-out my favourite toys in search of scarce components to feed their metaphysical addiction. Thus I am obliged to try and convince every one of them of their folly, to safeguard my interests. I'm not making much headway...
Lucien Nunes is offline   Reply With Quote