View Single Post
Old 30th Apr 2014, 8:18 am   #45
pmmunro
Octode

Default Re: The hidden danger of dead batteries...

In heeding the warning of this thread, I put some time into checking the cells and batteries in my Avometers on Monday and found about a dozen 'D' cells, mostly blue and red Ever Ready and black or grey Exide, and some 'AA' cells of various labels all in some state of leakage from the just starting to outer steel shell rusted through. Fortunately all were caught before there was any significant damage. The meters will now only be fitted with cells and batteries when needed or if they are in regular use.

A similar number of 1289 4,5V "flat" batteries were slightly bulging but an old Ever Ready R1662 1.5 V cell and a similar Siemens Size 'T' both look intact although no longer serviceable. As the last two have been unavailable for at least 20 years and possibly much longer, they would appear to be less vulnerable to leakage. Similar military 1.5V cells I have found in meters over the last few years were still intact.

Other meters which came with drab olive green NATO stock number 'D' cells were all leak free but I have no way of know their age.

Could it be that the zinc cans of these leak-free cells are "too thick" just to last the anticipated chemical life of the cell? This is poor economics from the battery manufacturers point of view but could make very good sense to the body responsible for expensive equipment.

PMM