View Single Post
Old 18th Oct 2017, 8:25 pm   #289
turretslug
Dekatron

Default Re: Audiophoolery. 'Cable Break In' - I never knew that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevehertz View Post
I mean seriously, there needs to be more control of all these stupid, rip-off audiophool products. Understandably, you can't sell medicinal products without some sort of licence, and clairvoyants have to state in their adverts that their services are for fun only. WRT hifi products it's not that easy since their are cutting edge widget products on the market that demonstrably do 'work' to a greater or lesser degree, so where do you draw the line between those and the blatant audiophool (stock resistors in a black sheath) ones? And yet another part of me says that if people are stupid enough to believe the ridiculous claims and boasts made for these products, then they deserve to get bitten. But then I think, some sewer rat is making money out of this!

No, this audiophool DIY components market is nothing but a serious rip-off and some kind of legislation needs to be brought in. Maybe the companies selling them should have to apply to have them tested. But then that would need a government department set up to perform the tests plus all the paperwork etc. It would all be too expensive and laden with red tape. No, as I come to the end of this post I've naturally come to my conclusion; let those daft enough to buy such tripe enjoy that tripe (and hope that the manufacturer catches a (bad) cold making them).
I sometimes get to feeling this way- but then think, much of it probably doesn't cause actionable harm and it's another thing that keeps disposable income, VAT etc. swilling around the economy. (Though there has been mains/primary side "foo" that has me muttering, "Please, no...." from time to time). After all, just about any leisure activity has after-market products associated with it that range from eminently practical good value to indulgent bling.

And who would want to be the civil servant or Government minister associated with "Control and limitation of products that bring comfort through faith"!
turretslug is offline   Reply With Quote